Straight-haired dames who never quite got the hang of the GHD curl… rejoice! Our curly-haired prayers have been answered! After spending A MONTH on the waiting list, finally in my hot little hands is Vidal Sassoon’s latest and greatest styling tool: the Curl Secret. 48 hours in I’m singing its praises and declaring it to be a super sublime find!
Back up, what’s the Curl Secret?
The Curl Secret is a heat-based hair styling tool that turns straight hair into curly hair in a matter of seconds, by automatically drawing in hair to curl it, heating the curl through, then releasing it. It is a major step forward in the world of hair-curling as it’s the first tool that doesn’t require you to twist your hair around the tool/roller, or twist your wrist in circles around your hair (GHD stylz). Its brushless, has a double heating system to create your curl faster and uses a series of beeps to let you know when your curl is ready so you don’t overcook it!
Check it out in this 37 second video:
The Curl Secret has three settings according according to how tight you’d like your curl to be (loose, medium or spiral), and two settings that relate to how hot the curl chamber gets (easy-to-curl/fine hair or hard-to-curl/thick hair). I found that the amount of hair you asked the curl secret to curl in one go has a big impact on the curl you got back (more hair = looser curl).
But does it really work?
YES. For the benefit of this review I captured my first Curl Secret experience in pics!
1) I washed my hair, put a bit of mousse through it and blow-dried it straight. Mousse was a bit heavier than is ideal but I’m yet to source another product. Observe: straight, underwhelming hair + underwhelmed expression (try not to observe my super-flushed post-blow-dry face).
2) I presented my hair to the Curl Secret, it slurped it in then… voilà! Curls! It took about half an hour to do my whole head as the curl chamber (it’s a thing, I swear) can only take little pieces of hair at a time. Observe: post curling Shirley-Temple-esque locks!
3) The curls need a bit of shaking out to look natural so that’s what I did before heading out today. I was nervous about the curls falling out (though I didn’t need to be!), so I did a little half-up, half-down do. Observe: styled curls!
4) Nine warm, coastal hours later the curls had dropped a little but have left in their wake some kinda sexy bed-hair (I mean this figuratively, I’ve never quite understood who actually has hair that looks like this out of bed?!). Observe: 9-hour-later hair and how I wish my hair looked like out of bed:
I’m worried my hair might get stuck in it! Will my hair get stuck in it?
I want to say no. Before getting the curl secret (in a rather cavalier manner) I declared “surely not”! I continued to believe it wouldn’t when I first started very cautiously trying it out. But then I got a bit lax with my approach and my hair did get stuck in there… three times. *major wince*
The Curl Secret comes with a set of instructions. It includes things like; make sure your hair is straight and doesn’t have lots of flyways, make sure there are no knots in your hair, hold your hair before it gets suckered into the curl chamber. I (foolishly) interpreted some of these as general recommendations rather than specific instructions.
The first time my hair got caught it had a teeny tiny knot I hadn’t noticed in the strand I was feeding in, my hair was tacky from the mousse and it all went wrong. The second time I had the curl secret at an awkward angle and wasn’t holding my hair straight. The third time I didn’t clamp down on the curl properly and it twisted my hair instead of sucking it in. I know it sounds scary. It was scary.
But my struggles will not be in vain! You will benefit from my learning! Here’s what you won’t read on the box… some tips on how to get your hair out if it gets stuck:
- Don’t panic (I tried panicking, it didn’t help).
- Turn the Curl Secret off. Your hair is trapped in a super hot thing, you want that hot thing to become less hot as quickly as possible. And you maaay have to stick your fingers in there!
- Stop and look. Where is your hair really caught? Time spent planning is seldom wasted.
- Gently, gently unhook it. A little bit of tugging, a little bit of unhooking and your hair should come free without too much hassle.
It’s important to note: none of these omg-my-hair-is-trapped incidents would have happened if I’d followed the instructions properly. It was user error. Keep your head in the game and you’ll have pretty locks sans the hair-caught drama. It really is very very easy to get very lovely looking curls. And there’s pretty much no chance of burning yourself like you might with a GHD. Winning!
I want one! How much and where from?
The RRP is $172.95, but you should be able to pick one up for $150ish at one of the Australian stockists: Shaver Shop, Priceline, Big W, Myer, David Jones, Target, Harvey Norman, The Good Guys, ry.com.au. I’ve added links to those online stores who look like they’ve got stock – lots of places are sold out. The Shaver Shop were taking orders for their next shipment in mid-Feb!
And you don’t want to wait ’til Feb, sublime seekers. If you’ve been lusting after curls and never found the right gear to get the look you want – give the Curl Secret a go, follow the instructions and be delighted with the results!
Tried the Curl Secret? Want to try it? Tell us below!